Take a look at some of our 1-to-1 Reading sessions below. When reading with your child, why not try some of the techniques showcased here:
Before you read a story with your child:
- Talk about the title and the pictures on the cover, and look through the book together.
- Discuss what you think the story might be about.
- Check that your child knows where to start reading and the direction of the print across the page. (From left to right, top to bottom).
- Read the story to your child, encouraging them to join in with repeated patterns. For example: Page 1, "Biff went to the park". Page 2, "Mum went to the park".
- Give them lots of praise as they read with you.
- Encourage your child to recognise letters and rhymes.
- Demonstrate blending by saying the sounds c-a-t to read cat (Chewing gum them together).
- What do you think this story is going to be about?
- What do you think will happen next?
- How do you think the character is feeling?
- How would you feel if that happened to you?
- How do you think the story will end?
1-to-1 Reading Sessions